The Living Earth
Taxes & shipping calculated at checkout
See every page
Get a sample packet for classroom trial (PDF)
We’ve made some changes!A snapshot of some new features:
- Practical investigations: These are clearly identified and revised as “hands-on” activities. There are a number of new investigations and equipment lists are provided.
- New & Updated Content: There is some new content and the flow of material within some activities has been revised to provide greater coherence to the program.
- Some Activities Simplified: Many activities have been considerably revised to simplify them and make them more accessible to a wider student audience, particularly with respect to the complexity of the material and reading level.
- Additional Coding: To assist teachers in navigating the curriculum:
- Resource Hub icons indicate specific targets for Resource hub content (Student and Teacher’s Edition).
- Group icons indicate to the instructor where students work collaboratively (Student and Teacher’s Edition).
- CA CCSS alignments to the CA NGSS Framework for ELA/ELD and math are included (Teacher’s Edition only).
- Red Tag codes Placed in the margin indicate specific performance expectations (Teacher’s Edition only).
- Assessments: Performance expectations are clearly identified for teachers and summative assessments have been revised accordingly.
Product DescriptionThe Living Earth has been designed and written to meet the requirements of the California Science Framework (HS Three-Course Model). This phenomenon-based title is fully three-dimensional in its approach, employing the 5Es instructional model to encourage inquiry and build a deeper understanding of science as a discipline. The book is organized into six instructional segments, with an additional reference chapter supporting mathematical and computational skills. The chapters build progressively on knowledge and skills and there is an interconnectedness throughout the book as students explore and explain phenomena. The analysis and interpretation of data and text, independent research and inquiry, and use of conceptual and physical models underpin the design of the activities. Practical investigations are clearly identified and easily accessible; no special kits are required. Students are encouraged, through the activities, to collaborate with their peers and be open to modifying their models and explanations based on evidence. Environmental literacy is well supported through checkpoints and questions, and design challenges are addressed in context as appropriate. The introduction to each chapter provides a checklist of student learning aims matched to specific activities for easy navigation. Crosscutting Concepts, Disciplinary Core Ideas, and Science and Engineering Practices are fully integrated in all activities and assessments. The Living Earth offers a learning experience anchored in student-relevant phenomena and problems. It provides an engaging, relevant, and rigorous program of instruction for any NGSS-aligned states integrating Earth Science with Biology. Ancillaries include online and teacher support, digital versions, and Presentation Media.
Features and Benefits
- A phenomenon-based approach employing the 5E instructional model, aligning with how students learn science.
- Six Instructional Segments provide the book’s structure, enabling seamless navigation through the program. A reference chapter provides support for science and engineering practices.
- Full integration of the three dimensions of the CA NGSS enables students to deepen understanding of Disciplinary Core Ideas through their use of Science and Engineering Practices and application of Crosscutting Concepts.
- Activities provide multiple opportunities for students to use first-hand experience to explain phenomena and develop engineering solutions to solve relevant problems.
- Formative and summative assessments address all three dimensions.
- Proficiency in mathematics and computational thinking are strongly supported.
- The California Environmental Principles and Concepts are incorporated throughout.
- Understandings about the Nature of Science are supported through the Science and Engineering Practices and Crosscutting Concepts.
- Online learning supported through BIOZONE’s resource hub, featuring videos, spreadsheet models, weblinks, and 3D models. Online courses also available through BIOZONE Academy.
Download Additional Resources (PDF)
Find a Local Resource Advisor
Need more information about a BIOZONE program? Talk to your local state Resource Advisor to find the right solution for your school or district.